Child Dental Benefits Scheme
The Child Dental Benefits Scheme covers up to $1,000 over 2 calendar years for basic dental services for eligible children. The services covered are:
- fissure sealing
- root canals
Esteem Dental Care try to avoid invasive treatment unless necessary, our preventative services aim to keep invasive treatment at bay.
We understand that dental visits can be a little nerve wrecking, especially for children.
For first time visits, we make it fun and inviting. They’re able to explore and ask questions, being in control of their appointment.
Healthy teeth allow a toddler to:
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Speak properly
- Have a healthy smile
Baby teeth also help maintain space for permanent teeth Early loss of a baby tooth can reduce the space for the adult tooth, resulting in crowded permanent teeth.
The timing of the appearance of teeth can vary greatly. Commonly, baby teeth can start erupting at 9 months.
How to Brush
- Step 1: To properly brush children’s teeth, the parent or child should angle a soft-bristled toothbrush at 45 degrees towards the gums of the upper and lower teeth.
- Step 2: The toothbrush should be moved gently in a back-and-forth motion with short strokes along the teeth and gums. This technique should be continued along every tooth’s interior and exterior surface in a similar way.
- Step 3: The tip of the brush should be placed in an upright position to reach behind the front teeth on the top and bottom.
- Step 4: Brush the tongue to remove bacteria on the surface.
When Children Should Floss
Children should start flossing when tooth surfaces are next to each other. It is important to floss at least once a day. Bacterial plaque and food can settle between the teeth, which can lead to gum disease, tooth decay and halitosis. The tongue should also be brushed to remove bacterial plaque.
Healthy Diet Tips
- Provide healthy mini meals throughout the day.
- Save snacks and treats for special occasions and have a drink of water after sugary foods or drinks.
- Foods like muesli bars, roll ups, health bars and honey are not recommended as snacks. They contain high concentrated of added and natural sugars and will stick to teeth more readily. Dried fruits are a little better, but fresh fruits and veggies are the best options.
- Eat less sugar.
- Do not add sugar for fussy eaters, continue to offer healthy foods and drinks.
- Water is the cheapest and best thirst quencher!
Fissure sealants are a safe and painless way of protecting your children’s teeth from tooth decay. It is a plastic coating which covers the chewing surfaces of the back-adult teeth. The sealant forms a hard shield that keeps food and bacteria from getting into the tiny grooves in the teeth. Most tooth decay in children occurs in the back teeth. It is quick and straight forward taking only a few minutes per tooth. A dentist or dental hygienist will clean and prepare the tooth with a special solution. The tooth is dried with air. The liquid is then applied and set hard using a special light. It is pain free.
Mobile Dentist and Dental Prosthetist services
Esteem team provides mobile dental and prosthetist services for nursing homes throughout all of the Gold Coast.Explore more
Child Dental Care and Preventative Services
Information on Children's Services offered and Child Dental Benefits SchemeExplore more
Esteem Dental Care provides after-hour dental care Tuesday and Wednesday, so you can book an appointment at a time that suits you best.Explore more
Book appointment with us
Saturday appointments available
After hours dentist by appointment only
Mobile dentist by appointment only